Extending Python Syntax with @

From: John Roth <news...@jhrothjr.com>
news:c718a6cf.0403112149.1b3d0e78 at posting.google.com...
message news:<slrnc4v696.lhs.bignose-hates-spam at iris.polar.local>...
> > On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:50:58 -0500, John Roth wrote:> > > Someday people will get over their attachment with being able to write> > > programs with any old text editor that happens to be lying around, and> > > being able to print their programs without needing a special> > > formatting program, but that day isn't today, and I doubt if it's> > > tomorrow.> >> > I doubt it's ever, because such a day would have to be preceded by the> > day when programs no longer need to be inspected, maintained or> > transferred between systems not specifically set up as developer> > workstations.>> funny thing is VB has survived this long just because you HAVE to have> the IDE to edit the code. That is one of the biggest selling points of> VB.> It should not be an issue, just make all the IDE's cross platform.>> All the worth while Java IDE's are cross platform. Intellij IDEA and> Together.> Maybe Eclipse but it is pretty buggy compared to the commerical> offerings.

Java IDEs are cross platform because they're in Java, which is
cross-platform. IDLE is cross-platform because it's written in
Python, which is cross-platform.

> That is what Python is missing is an quality IDE that is cross> platform. All the ones out now suck when compared to something like> IDEA or Together.

Well, yes. I tried using IDLE, and the little things that didn't work
the way I expected (or work at all) made me go back to PythonWin.
PythonWin is hardly ideal either: it's just based on a very good
editor. You can't use the Bicycle Repair Man refactoring plugin,
and the run facility sucks. It's just better than IDLE.

There are supposed to be Python plugins for Eclipse, but every time
I look for them I find stuff that is so far from ready for prime time that
they're embarassing.

> anyone that thinks about following up this post with anything about vi> or emacs can just stop right now and go back to their hole.

Recent Messages in this Thread
David MacQuigg Mar 10, 2004 09:01 pm
Wayne Folta Mar 10, 2004 09:24 pm
Jarek Zgoda Mar 10, 2004 09:26 pm
Jeff Epler Mar 10, 2004 09:31 pm
Ivan Voras Mar 10, 2004 09:49 pm
Erik Max Francis Mar 11, 2004 01:08 am
John Roth Mar 10, 2004 09:50 pm
Ben Finney Mar 10, 2004 10:19 pm
John Roth Mar 10, 2004 11:15 pm
Josiah Carlson Mar 12, 2004 05:08 pm
Y2KYZFR1 Mar 12, 2004 05:49 am
Max M Mar 12, 2004 09:59 am
John Roth Mar 12, 2004 12:05 pm
Heather Coppersmith Mar 11, 2004 02:05 am
Edward K. Ream Mar 10, 2004 11:02 pm
David MacQuigg Mar 11, 2004 12:40 am
Cameron Laird Mar 11, 2004 01:28 am
David MacQuigg Mar 11, 2004 02:44 am
Pierre Rouleau Mar 11, 2004 03:13 am
Christopher Koppler Mar 11, 2004 09:00 am
Isaac To Mar 11, 2004 01:54 am
Pierre Rouleau Mar 11, 2004 02:59 am
Christopher Koppler Mar 11, 2004 08:50 am
Nick Vargish Mar 11, 2004 02:28 pm
Peter Hickman Mar 11, 2004 02:50 pm
Cameron Laird Mar 11, 2004 03:24 pm
Peter Hickman Mar 12, 2004 09:50 am