How to install hachoir-wx
- Download and install ActivePython
- Open Command Prompt
pypm install hachoir-wx
hachoir-wx is a wxWidgets-based program that's meant to provide a (more) user-friendly interface to the facilities provided by the hachoir binary parser core.
For latest updates, to ask for a feature (please do!), and bleeding(-edge) source code see the website: http://hachoir.org/wiki/hachoir-wx
Everyone is very welcome to contribute code =)
- Use the new getFieldType() method of hachoir-core 1.2 to display better
informations about the field type, eg. shows the string charset
- hachoir-wx is now able to parse subfield
- Display field description
Fix setup.py: also install hachoir_wx.xrc
Bugfixes: * Fix setup.py: install submodules! * setup.py uses distutils by default (and not setuptools) * Add some missing imports * Fix few typo errors
hachoir-wx 0.1 Initial Release (all platforms)
Features: * Lazy-loaded hex view, meaning you can view a 20GB file and memory usage will remain constant, and the GUI will remain responsive.
- Dynamic type conversion, meaning (for example) you can take a
RawBytes field of size 4 and convert it to a UInt32 for a better look at your data.
- Field splitting, meaning you can take a RawBytes range and split it
into smaller ranges. This feature in conjunction with dynamic type conversion allows you to explore unknown binary formats more easily.
- Field view that allows you to browse a binary file just like a
- Minor stuff like hex/dec view of addresses, absolute/relative field
offsets, auto-resizing field view columns that stretch to the size of your data, etc.
- Hex view automatically scrolls to and highlights the hex data of
the currently selected field (called "marking".)
- Field dumping, meaning you can select any field inside your binary
file and save it on your hard disk for further examination/analysis/etc.
Bugs: * [All]: Field view "Merge Down" doesn't work.
- [Windows only]: Hex view only shows a ~4x5 char display of the
data. This is believed to be due to a wxWidgets bugs related to text wrapping.
- [Windows only]: Right-click context menu doesn't work.
- [Windows only]: Hex view data marking doesn't work.
- [Gtk only]: Hex view will occasionally show two scrollbars for the
hex view if you resize the very quickly. This is likely a bug in wxGtk that (for some reason) ignores the "no vertical scrollbar" directive for text controls.