How to install cipher.logview
- Download and install ActivePython
- Open Command Prompt
pypm install cipher.logview
WSGI middleware that shows you log messages produced during request handling.
Wraps Dozer and adds a few features:
- Pretty request timeline for functions decorated with @cipher.logview.timed.
- Stack formatter shows the value of __traceback_info__ in each stack frame, if a local with that name exists (which is a convention used by zope.exceptions.exceptionformatter).
- A monkey-patch for zope.browserpage's ViewPageTemplateFile that logs the names of page templates being rendered (enable with monkeypatch=True).
- A monkey-patch for zope.app.publication's ZopePublication that logs the name of the view class that is being called, and also the representation of and interfaces provided by the content object (enable with monkeypatch=True).
Add cipher.logview.LogviewMiddleware in your WSGI pipeline.
For example, here's an excerpt for a PasteDeploy-style paster.ini:
[filter-app:logview] use = egg:cipher.logview next = main loglevel = DEBUG keep_tracebacks = yes monkeypatch = yes # highlighting rules: logview.substring = css-color logview.sql = #fee logview.txn = #efe # traceback highlighting rules: traceback.substring=css-color traceback.dozer/ = #ddd traceback.python2.7/ = #ccc traceback.paste/ = #bbb traceback.webob/ = #aaa traceback.weberror/ = #999 traceback.zope/ = #888 traceback.z3c/ = #888 traceback.storm/ = #777 traceback.transaction/ = #666 traceback.ZODB/ = #555 traceback.keas/ = #444 traceback.cipher/ = #840
which lets you optionally enable the middleware from the command line
bin/paster serve paster.ini -n logview
Note: if you want to see debug messages -- such as those produced by cipher.logview itself -- you will need to make sure the logging level of the root logger is set to DEBUG. If you don't want debug messages in your log files (and who does?), filter them out by setting the level of each handler. Example paster.ini:
[logging] keys = root, ... [logger_root] handlers = stdout, logfile level = DEBUG [handlers] keys = stdout, logfile, ... [handler_stdout] class = StreamHandler args = (sys.stdout,) level = INFO formatter = ... [handler_logfile] class = logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler args = ('events.log', 'a', 10*1024*1024, 5) level = INFO formatter = ...
- Add support for Python 3.3.
- Require Dozer 0.4.
- No longer require Paste.
- Cosmetic fix: add the missing closing parenthesis to the request timeline labels.
- Handle views that are methods (e.g. <browser:page class="..." attribute="..." />): show the class and method name, the correct source location of the method, and the context. Previously you'd see "Calling __builtin__.instancemethod - no source information available".
- Add cipher.logview.format_tb. Use it to format exception tracebacks (requires Dozer 0.3).
- Add support for __traceback_supplement__ in format_stack/format_tb. This is used by Zope Page Templates to indicate the page template filename/line/column/expression.
- Handle dynamic subclasses created by <browser:page> and show the real class.
- Bugfix: sometimes enumerating interfaces of the context could trigger a ForbiddenAttribute exception.
- Mention logging levels gotcha in README.rst.
- First public release.