| Store | Cart

Re: [MACTCL] Tk on iPad / iPhone

From: Scott Redman <scot...@sbcglobal.net>
Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
I looked into it for the iPhone about two years ago.  IIRC, the APIs are very
different from those on the Mac.  I do think you could port Tcl (the first step)
without too much grief, but Tk is another story and I think it would require a
lot of work.

At the same time, you need to ask yourself if the mouse-centric Tk is the right
model for the touch-centric iPhone/iPad.  Personally, I don't think so and I
think your time would be better spent building a new Tk-like API for touch that
might include a few of the Tk widgets.  Don't tie it too closely to iOS, as I
think a similar port to Android would be wise.

Lastly, I'm not a legal expert, but IIRC the requirements for shipping an App
may be different from using Apple's development tools to do so.  Make sure you
look at both.

-- Scott