| Store | Cart

Re: [TCLCORE] TIP #461: Separate Numeric and String Comparison Operators

From: Peter da Silva <pete...@flightaware.com>
Wed, 1 Feb 2017 16:16:47 +0000
My habits predate the introduction of “eq”. My finger-macros fully quote both arguments to “==” if there is a possibility either might be considered numeric. Is this unsafe?

I’m not sure what relevance the last paragraph has. The only real property I currently own is my home.

From: Colin McCormack <mcc...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 8:33 AM
Cc: Tcl Core List <tcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [TCLCORE] TIP #461: Separate Numeric and String Comparison Operators

For years I have strictly avoided the use of == in favour of eq unless I knew the operands to be numeric.

My avoidance was learned by having programs surprise me unpleasantly under ==, and it is my understanding that such avoidance was, by convention, best Tcl coding practice. It has certainly helped me avoid surprises.

As I understand the proposed tip, it codified that best practice. I can only see that as beneficial to Tcl coders.

I see that some people who own Tcl codebases which they don't effectively control are reticent to see any change to Tcl, in any future version, because changes might necessitate maintenance effort on their part.

I don't think Tcl should encourage the convenience and provide economic benefits to a rentier class by committing to minimal language change while striving for improved performance.

Colin

Recent Messages in this Thread
Donald Porter Jan 31, 2017 05:09 pm
Peter S Jan 31, 2017 09:45 pm
Brad Lanam Feb 01, 2017 12:04 am
Kevin Kenny Feb 01, 2017 01:09 am
Brad Lanam Feb 01, 2017 01:26 am
Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester Feb 01, 2017 07:57 am
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 01:13 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 01:23 pm
Colin McCormack Feb 01, 2017 02:33 pm
Peter da Silva Feb 01, 2017 04:16 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 04:27 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 04:41 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 05:10 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 05:48 pm
Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester Feb 01, 2017 06:45 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 06:48 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 10:07 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 10:30 pm
Brian Griffin Feb 01, 2017 10:48 pm
Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester Feb 01, 2017 05:11 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 04:13 pm
Martin Lemburg Feb 01, 2017 03:31 pm
Martin Lemburg Feb 01, 2017 12:20 pm
Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester Feb 01, 2017 01:20 pm
avl Feb 01, 2017 12:01 am
Donald G Porter Feb 02, 2017 06:21 pm
Peter S Feb 01, 2017 10:59 pm
Dipl. Ing. Sergey G. Brester Feb 02, 2017 08:29 am
avl Jan 31, 2017 05:04 pm
Peter S Jan 31, 2017 05:13 pm
Messages in this thread