| Store | Cart

[Python-Dev] Can we checkin on the main trunk?

From: Barry A. Warsaw <bar...@zope.com>
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 01:05:23 -0500

    SM> Can I check in on the main trunk and have it go into 2.3
    SM> without disturbing the 2.2 release?  I'm never sure during
    SM> these alpha/beta/release candidate situations what is and
    SM> isn't allowed (other than that Barry's new branch is clearly
    SM> off-limits).

Trunk checkins are always safe.  We create a release branch
specifically so that no strict freeze on checkins need be imposed on
CVS committers.

The release branch is always off-limits to everyone except those of us
who are making the releases (or our designated bots), as per PEP 101.
This way we can ensure a clean, controlled release branch but not hold
up ongoing Python development and maintenance on the trunk.

BTW, this policy is fairly new with Python 2.2 and, speaking as
Release Manager, I think it has worked exceedingly well.  We actually
got the idea from the way Zope's CVS is managed, though we've tweaked
the process a bit to suite Python's differing needs.  aIMO, the most
important adjustment was in finding the right balance between the need
for a branch and the reality that the inevitable merge from branch
back to trunk can be a royal PITA (ask Tim some time about is
descr-branch merge experience. ;)

Currently we try to branch at about noon (local time 'natch) the day
before the release.  This seems like a pretty good balance between the
conflicting goals of release isolation and a pain-free trunk-merge.

I know my announcement earlier today discouraged trunk checkins until
we spin the Python 2.2 final release.  I think that makes sense given
that this is a "final" release, so there are a few special
considerations.  I'm willing to accept that my discouraging trunk
checkins is just paranoia on my part ;).

-Barry

Recent Messages in this Thread
s...@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro) (Skip Montanaro) Dec 20, 2001 09:02 pm
Guido van Rossum Dec 20, 2001 11:19 pm